Thursday, June 09, 2005

An oldie but a goodie


This is an old sketch book entry from the last century, 1999. It is a portrait of Cantance Adams. She is the architect of the first inflatable space habitat that we, one day, may see orbiting our planet. If I recall, I found here picture in National Geographic or Popular Science or like magazine. There was something in her face that I really liked. Something about this very "normal" looking woman with hip glasses designing space habitats was really cool.

So the next step was to do a water color sketch:


Now here's the funny thing (and why I chose to post this) My fifteen-year-old was looking at it and noticed two things:

1) He thought she looked like a "sexy librarian" in the pencil sketch, but an "old jewish lady" in water color. (please, no offense to anyone, we all have our ethnic traits)

2) He compared it to the watercolor I did last night of the bird and said, in his own words, that I have gotten better since then. I'm very curious to hear what any of you think about that.

He wants me to post some paintings I did back in art school. (1983-85) He recognizes I have taken 20 years off from serious painting, and still he thinks I've improved some how. And he understands my desire to get back into it. As long as he still has food to eat, cable TV and a fast internet connection. :-)

Jeez, I love my kids.

And Constance, if you're out there.... You go girl!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you’re as talented as you, It’s hard to say, “yes, you’re better now” because you produce a consistent quality level of work. Personally, I haven’t seen enough of your work to say you’re better, but if I’m comparing it to your boss’s boss, I would say I like the newer stuff better. It’s a much looser style. But that’s just my opinion. For a 20 year old piece, I like it too… (but in my heart, I’d have to say yes, of course you’re better now.) Age helps with many things.

Anonymous said...

Chuck, these are super. But,yes, I can see a difference. Even if you haven't been working on your art for 20 years, you've been working on the things that feed it. You're probably clearer about who YOU are--and that always has a positive effect on what you/one do/does.

Chuck Rose said...

Wow. Now that's the kind of blogging that means something. Thank you so much for saying that. I think you and Harry are saying very similar things.

Thanks for the wisdom Laura.

Terri said...

Hey Chuck, Well Harry and Laura said exactly what I was thinking when I compared your older sketch to the one of your boss. You have a much looser style these days and that no doubt comes with confidence and maturity. All good things of course!! I do love your portrait of Constance, but like the others, prefer you more recent work. :o)

Chuck Rose said...

Well, I must be on the right track then. Thanks everyone.

Chuck Rose said...

Wally,
You're killing me. Everytime I look at your sketches, I wish I could capture scenes with the same freshness that you do. They are so alive and spontanious. Your modeling skillsare just fine my man.

Kathleen Pequignot said...

I think it is wonderful that your children are so interested in your work and your growth as an artist. That is neat how he picked up on the changes in your artistic style over your creative journey. I love your seeing your new work when you post on the blog, and it is fun to go back and see how we've loosened up and turned in a new direction. Does technique mirror the journey of the soul? ;) I'm hoping so, because I'm looking forward to many more new turns to veer off and try along the way.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Brilliant. I love her!