Tuesday, May 10, 2005

My latest project which I probably won't finish

I was really happy with the "Edisto Clouds" (see last post). I worked from a photograph I took while my family and I were on vacation in Edisto Beach, SC. So I thought I might try a small series from the same time. I started working on the following painting of a couple of boys down on the dock by the sound. I have had two sessions with it so far:


Session one: consisted of a block-in with a color that will serve as a base for the overall color scheme. In this case,Utra Marine Blue with a lot of mineral spirits to thin it out. I'm just trying to get the the drawing set up at this point.




Session two: is where I'm starting to lay in a little color every where and make corrections to the drawing. I also focused on putting in the dark values in the dock. I quickly realized I had a lot of drawing problems. I stopped working. I didn't lay in the dark values in the figures because that's where the inaccuracies of the drawing became the most apparent to me.

So this one has sat on the easel for several weeks without me touching it. I have to ask myself why. Perhaps it isn't the interesting image I thought it was. Is the focal point strong enough? If I haven't been compelled to keep going on it, so maybe it isn't.

I'm seriously considering slapping some gesso on this and putting it out of it's misery.

No comments: