Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Relying on the masters



I was aching to paint/draw tonight. Caught a bit of American Idol while I ate an INCREDIBLE hamberger and fries that my wife dished up. I mean sauteed onions and mushrooms, home-made buns.... OK, I digress.I had freelance work to do after dinner. Did that.

Later, I was looking at one of my Sargent (John Singer Sargent) books. I'm feeling VERY rusty so I thought it might be a good idea to do a study of one of my heros. I did a pencil sketch and was very disappointed in the results. But as I addded color, it started to come together. What do you think?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think, I think! Keep going! Lovely Sargentesque, shadowy washes.

Linda said...

I think - yeah! This is great! Amazing wash technique -- I love the way you carry some of the big shadow washes right up into and through the hairline, and yet have other small very accurately placed washes (like under the eye, the corner of the mouth). Flesh tones are very difficult, I think -- what colors do you use?

Willie Baronet said...

I think therefore I yam. Masterful!!

Chuck Rose said...

What great words to wake up to! Yes, I overslept today.

Walter, I thought the same thing. And I am going to do just that. I will post another version and see if it passes.

Have a great day everyone!

Anonymous said...

Very nice, Chuck. Im so envious of those of you who can just toss this stuff out. I was looking for Sargent's deep reds somewhere.

Chuck Rose said...

Geez, everyone's a critic! Reds, blacks... what's a boy to do!

:D

I'm on it!